09.02.20 Meeting Summary
Posted by MSC on 9/3/2020
“Everything is on the table if playing Fall season. All days of the week are options.”
—John Daileanes, Athletic Director - about the possibility of holding practices and games on weekends this fall
- Technical difficulties led to only the meeting’s audio being live-streamed, with the meeting video/audio recorded (all meeting recordings posted here)
- Dr. Harvey shared his ReOpening Update, including this “welcome” video to the teachers by Student Council President Justin Crosby. Dr. Harvey noted that about 70 support staff are working on campus currently, and teachers are working remotely until the results from last week’s independent air-quality assessment are complete (this takes about two weeks).
- After in-depth presentations and discussion, the committee voted to hold all Fall Sports in the Fall season
- Holding some practices and games on weekends may help alleviate the issue of limited daylight hours after Nov. 1 and obtaining extra busses to comply to DESE’s 30% capacity limit
- It is unknown how many NEC teams will be available for Masco to play in the Fall, as other NEC schools have not yet decided between Fall vs Fall 2
- Volleyball being an indoor sport may pose the greatest challenges, but for all sports the intent is to put safety first, and apply creative problem-solving to achieve play time for athletes
- The committee formed a new Anti-Racism subcommittee that will begin meeting and giving regular reports to the school committee
- Nicole Messih was introduced as our student SAB representative; she shared some highlights from student groups
- Negotiations with the Masconomet Teachers’ Union are ongoing, with an emphasis on assuring safety of the building for teachers to return. Masco’s full time HVAC technician performed system upgrades, and Masco commissioned an air quality report by an independent industrial hygienist. The union has agreed to teachers working in the building upon confirmation that the air is safe.
- A Community Forum about the Remote Phase of ReOpening will be held Wednesday, September 9 at 7pm via zoom
- This two-question community survey continues to be available where parents, students and staff can ask their most pressing questions
Further notes can be found in the Summary Notes* from the 09/02/2020 meeting. *These are not meeting minutes and not intended to be a transcription of the meeting.
- Photos: Rally for School Sports in Danvers
- High School Athletes Protest Postponement of Their Fall Sports Season
- TriTown Council is a great place to find local resources and opportunities; Sign up for their newsletter and follow them on facebook, too!
- SEPAC is an excellent support resource for families. Follow them on facebook, too!
- It’s a great summer for lots of reading: 7th Grade 8th Grade 9th Grade 10th Grade 11th Grade CP 11th Grade Honors 11th Grade AP 12th Grade Global 12th Grade Gothic 12th Grade Graphic Novel Books for conversations about race
- School Committee meetings: Public is welcome and each meeting begins with comments from the audience. Presentations from Masco leaders are a great way to be in the loop. Email questions, comments or concerns to the committee Chair, Carolyn Miller, at email@example.com
NEXT SC Meeting:
We will hold a Community Forum on Wednesday September 9 at 7pm via zoom.
Our next regular School Committee meeting will be Wednesday, September 16 at 7pm
Meeting agendas, minutes, documents, and videos are posted on-line at: https://www.masconomet.org/domain/41
Filter by Tag
- Show All
- District Agreement
- fall 2
- Graduation 2020
- Health Services
- listening session
- Northeast Conferenc
- Northeast Conference
- Remote Learning
- Remote Start
- school choice
- School Improvement
- Strategic Plan
- Student Services
- Summary Notes