The World of Work: Career and Self-Exploration
Timeline of events:
October – Sophomores have the option of taking the PSAT if they are enrolled in honors math or English. Registration is in the guidance office.
December – PSAT results are reviewed by counselor with individual students.
February – Course selection, students are encouraged to meet with their guidance counselor with any questions.
April-May - The sophomore guidance program is a two part event. Part one is an interactive group presentation reintroducing students to Naviance, our web-based college and career planning system. Part two is individual meetings with each student’s guidance counselor.
- Students will explore the difference between jobs and careers and the value of work.
- Students will complete a career interest inventory which will begin to expose them to new and exciting career opportunities. This inventory is available on Naviance.
- Job search process
- A sample of a typical application for employment
- Introduction to resume
- Interview skills
- Getting a work permit
- Job/Career searching resource
Students will meet individually with their guidance counselor to:
- Discuss their academic progress
- Review of transcript
- Review of the importance of extracurricular activities
- Review of career interest inventory and individual college and career goals